Monday, April 19, 2010

a penny saved is a penny earned

Saving money in this economy is not only nice, but it is almost essential.  Over the past 3 years, I have made coupons and free samples a part of my every day existence.  It's not an easy process.  In fact, it's a challenge.  Who isn't up for a challenge?...especially a challenge that can save you a BUTT load of money.  (Yes, it was necessary to capitalize "butt" in order to get my point across.)

Here's my life summed up in a simple equation:
coupons + free samples + butt-load of savings = one happy Leslie (and Daniel)

I used to not be like this (aka a crazy, money-saving monster).  Nope, I used to spent my money like I was dying the next day.  I would spend down to the very last pennies.  Yes, the money would burn a hole in my pocket if it wasn't spent immediately.  When Sissy and I were younger, we were complete opposites of how we are now with money.  Sissy would save, almost hoard, her allowance money.  She would also hide it from herself only to discover the piles of money years later and instantly become a twenty-dollar-aire.  I remember upon several occasions that she would feel sorry for me once she discovered her hidden treasure.  I would ask for money and shockingly she would give me whatever she didn't "want".  What a nice little sister she was!

Ironically, we are reversed now.  I hoard my money like it can be transferred to heaven when I die.  And Sis...well, let's just say she loves to clothes shop.

Once I graduated from college and moved back home, I was introduced by my co-worker, Lisa, the joys of coupons and ad matching.  She taught me a lot about how to save double and triple!  There's no need to spend the full amount on an item just search for a coupon.  My money-saving techniques have come a LONG way since a few years ago.

My ultimate "money-saving" goal was to save more than I spend (at Publix).  With Publix's BOGOF deals and doubling coupons up to 50 cents, I was on a mission.  On Tuesday, March 30, I met my goal.  I saved more than I spent at Publix.  I spent $61.19 and saved $69.73...a total savings of 53.26%!  However, I feel like the cashier girl didn't ring up all of my coupons.  She was the coupon Nazi and wouldn't scan some of them.  Did she skip over other coupons without letting me know?  uh, probably.  I will never go to your line again, Rachel.

How do I do it?  Simple.  I research and print and cut.  Another wonderful reason for the Internet being invented:  super savings!  Thank you, Al Gore (for taking the credit the internet's invention, or else I would thank "for real Internet inventer" guy).

Step #1:  I clip coupons from the Sunday paper.  We subscribe to the B'ham News 4 or 5 days a week for 15 weeks, which totals $35ish.  Within 1 or 2 times of visiting the grocery store, I can save that money.  So the subscriptions are completely worth it to me.

Step #2:  I subscribe to http://www.coupons.com/.  This is the easiest website to join!  You give them your email address and they will email you when new, updated coupons are available.  Just select which ones you want, and print those bad boys out. 

Step #3:  I follow a few coupon-saving websites on Twitter.  The websites will post the best deals on the Twitter feed displaying the great deals!  But to get the best deals, I go to the websites directly.  I only follow 2 as of right now:
http://www.southernsavers.com/
http://www.moneysavingmom.com/
Both websites are set up in blog form, which is super easy to read.  They post entries about every stores weekly deals, individual coupons, and even free samples!  The free samples are my favorite!  I have gotten everything from shampoo, condition, toothpaste, laundry detergent, "lady" products, and white strips mailed to my house for free!  Most of the products even come with coupons so you can purchase those products in the future. 

Step #4:  I try to go to the product's official website to see if they have any extra coupons.  I have been successful with finding $1 off coupons on those websites.  boo-ya...extra money saved.

There's other methods of obtaining coupons and great deals on items, but the 4 steps above is all that I do now.  I am sure that I will expand my steps sometime soon.

With as many coupons are there are, I VERY rarely spend full price for an item no matter if it is groceries, clothing, home decor, and misc.

What money-saving routines do you practice?

No comments: