Wednesday, April 21, 2010

mission: kitchen art

Just about every wall in our house has some kind of art or picture filling the voided space, or rather "sky" as I like to call it.  There is a huge "sky" in our kitchen that needed to be filled a-sap!  It was driving me (and Daniel) nuts not having a picture to hang in that area.  We even tried to motivate ourselves by hanging a stockings painting for our kitchen Christmas decorations.  All that did was establish where the naked nail would be in the wall for the next 4 months. 

Our ideas were sparse:
1.  Buy four 5x7 or 8x10 pictures of the different seasons.
2.  Buy a huge (and I am talking ginormous) frame and a cute smaller canvas picture to hang inside.
3.  Buy pretty much anything large that would match.

So we went with the 3rd option, because it has nearly been a year of moving in and I am tired of looking at a green sky.   

Now to unveil the kitchen art masterpiece....drum rolll.....TA-DA!

What is it?  (you may ask.) 
Well, it's a cloth napkin from the World Market in a 16x20 frame.  Am I creative, or what?

And if you recall, I hate buying something at full price and this, already cheap project, was no exception. 
WM cloth napkin:  $2.99 with a 10% off coupon making it $2.69
Target 16x20 frame:  $14.99
Total kitchen art price:  $17.68

Not the best savings ever, but hey, 30 cents is 30 cents.  Plus we have less green sky to look at.

Up next....the GIGANTIC blue living room sky behind our chairs.  I have thrifty project in mind for that area.  I am still collecting my "suuplies" so it might be a few more months.  You will see what I mean...