Tuesday, August 3, 2010

2010 backyard makeover

When we moved into our house last May, Daniel had a vision for both the front and back yards.  His front yard vision was simple compared to the back yard.  His goal was to remove the bradford pear in the front.  He did that with flying colors and ease.

The biggest project we knew buying our house was the backyard.  There was nothing wonderful about it except that it was a decent size and fenced in.  There was good bones about it, but Daniel talked about how much there was to dig up and replant. 

And boy, was there!  My intentions were to help with as much of the makeover as I could.  I am happy to say that I contributed one day's worth of work by digging up rocks.  I have never seen so many rocks on all my life!  I would have to say that we had close to 1000 rocks in and buried in the yard.  Obviously I couldn't dig them all up so Daniel did about half of the rocks digging as well.  Then my part was done.

Daniel exploded on the scenes with his digging up plants and planting new ones in their place.  He made several really nice beds for the new plants around the yard.  Two of the beds are against the house and are lined with brick pavers.  They look fantastic!

The hardest and most stressful part of the makeover was deciding on the pavers for our patio extention.  We wanted something that wouldn't look janky, but also didn't want something that was too expensive.  We had already unloaded hundreds of dollars from our wallets and I was looking to save as much as I could.  After many weeks of researching and comparing, we decided on plain gray pavers.  They were less than half of the fancy ones we had originally picked out and we still have plans to paint the them along with the original patio.

After deciding on the pavers, Daniel went to town on laying them.  I must say that Daniel surprised me with his paver-laying abilities.  He spent several hours watching video after video about how to lay pavers and the materials needed to do so.  He laid them all down within a few days' time.  And they look great!  I hope our next house is already landscaped and beautiful, because this was a very stressful project.

Before Pictures
left corner of yard

right corner of yard

back of the house

left front corner of yard


 
After Pictures
left corner of yard

right corner of yard

back of the house
part one of the patio extention

back of the house
part two of the patio extention

the new and improved back of the house

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

once again, y'all did a fantastic job! one question: what does "janky" mean? i hope it's a word i can begin using everyday because i really like it, but i need to know exactly what it means so i won't appear stupid if i use it.

jane

Leslie said...

Thanks, Jane!
Janky means the opposite of classy. If something is janky, then it is messy, not up to par, and just blah in nature. I hope that helps!