Monday, December 7, 2009

from eye twitching to amazing

There's something about it.  I can't deny that I am always in a good mood when the sense of accomplishment arrives.  It's not hard...just takes time.  This is my definition of being a nerd:  a person who becomes overly estatic when something is cleaned and/or organized in a wonderful manner.  Ah yes, just call me Leslie, the Nerd. 

This past weekend Leslie, the Nerd, and her nerdy husband, Daniel, decided to take on (yet again for about the 6th time) the mess in the garage.  It drives me NUTS to see crap laying around when I know that it can be and should be put away.  I am very much the person who has always tried to put everything back in its original place once I am finished using it.  It sometimes always blows my mind that people let their clutter consume their lives.  If you just take a few minutes a day and "clean up", then you wouldn't have as big of a problem later on.  I am reminded of the preschool song that I would sing to either my MDO class or while babysitting:  the clean-up song.  It goes "clean-up, clean-up.  everybody do their share".  So simple and easy that even a preschooler can understand.

Back to the mess:
So this was a long time coming.  Daniel has been collecting various types of wooden boards in order to make his very own work bench in the garage.  I think it's great that he has that desire and actually knows how to make it!  He is handy to have around.  In the midst of the collecting, he has brought in more grass, spiders, and dirt than I am willing to let into our home.  Plus he was staking everything up in front of the "junk" pile that I am in charge of organzing/donating/decreasing until it all goes away.  So how could I organize my pile with his stuff in the way?  Yesterday we changed that.

In just about 3 hours, our garage went from making my eyes twitch to it being very livable and enjoyable to look at.  We mounted a shelf that he got from his dad.  And I must say it helps A LOT with the strorage factor.  Then I busted out the little shop-vac and proceeded to vacuum up every spider/cobweb and blade of dead grass that I could find.  Daniel worked on getting his tool box in order.  His tool box still is not as "together" as I would like it, but he has quickly reminded me that his tool box is his stuff.  Fair enough.

He borrowed a saw-type-of-a-thing from his friend so he is planning on building his workbench this week!  Yay for progress!  Once that is complete, then I will be the one holding us up with the junk pile.  I plan on tackling that this weekend though.  I really should have taken "before", "progressive", and "after" shots of the garage to have documentation of the fantastic teamwork that Daniel and I possess.  Eh, I will always remember it in my memory and that gives me nightmares just thinking about it.

2 comments:

mary beth said...

have you ever seen the show "hoarders??" oh wow, you seem a lot like me in the sense that we like to be organized and clean, so this show is like torture to watch!

Leslie said...

I hven never seen it before, but I have heard about it. It kinda scares me, because what if I have nightmares from it?