Sunday, November 14, 2010

gray is to Brindley as red is to Schmitt...

...which has NOTHING to do with Alabama colors (red and gray) by the way.  Each side of my family has their bad traits and for me the hair color is the worst.  It's funny how the worst traits in both family genes is in the hair.  I know you can understand where I am coming from on the "gray" part, but others might find it offensive with the "red" part.  Don't get me wrong:  my family members who have reddish hair look beautiful with it.  I, on the other hand, do not.  I have always had brown hair, but why is my hair now showing signs of red?  I guess the coloring doesn't help with hiding the red like it does with the gray. 

I love both of my family heritages.  You read about some of the traits from one of the sides in a recent post.  Now the other side is quite different.  I am not necessarily saying "good" different, but just different.  If the Brindleys are analytical and "worst case" scenario, then the Schmitts are cautious and thought provoking.  Let me explain...

While the Brindley side of me analyzes everything to the immediate worst case scenario (of EVERY situation), the Schmitt side of me is cautious to act upon something with haste.  While both sides like for everything to be thought out and planned to a T, the Schmitt side is more giving to uncontrolled situations that may or may arise.  Being a Schmitt means thinking rationally and realistically in every situation.  Always knowing what COULD happen, but don't overthink the outcome.

This might be the worst battle that has EVER enter my mind.  I immediately jump to the worst case scenario, but then thoroghly think through the situation like a realistic event.  strange?  yes.  helpful?  possibly.

I think my favorite part of being a Schmitt (without the actual given name) is the crafty side.  My grandmother makes beautiful things in her ceramic shop.  I couldn't even begin to be that creative or great with a brush like she is in painting.  I will never forget being at her house when I was in early elementary school and she drew free-handed a picture of Minnie Mouse.  I was in awe of her raw talent and her story about how she would always doodle in class instead of taking notes.  The Brindley side of me came out and I wondered to myself "How in the world did she make straight A's if she wasn't taking notes and instead drawing?"

Growing up, my mom was always a crafty "room mom".  I was always envious of the things she made up for us to make or to give as gifts to our friends.  I always told myself that preschool teachers have to be creative so she was just living up to her profession.  As I got older I realized that she didn't have to be creative because she was a teacher.  Mamski was naturally creative.  And it wasn't until the past couple of years that my jealously for Granmolli and Mamski started to be suppressed by my own creative mind.  I am not sure what happened.  It seems like a light bulb turned on overnight, and here I am making tablerunners from an old bedsheet, AU shirts from old Tshirts, beach blankets from sweat-stained-armpit college Tshirts, and kitchen curtains from super cheap fabric.

My ideas are numerous and my time is few, which is extremely frustrating.  I need more hours in the day and days in the week to create my ideas.  Maybe one day "ElleBeeTee Originals" will come to life and you too can purchase your very own creations made by yours truly.  Until that day comes, I will continue making all that I can with the time that has been given to me.

No comments: