Tuesday, July 20, 2010

the princess and the pea

When I was 14 months old, I began sleeping on a mattress that is thought to be harder than a brick...at least that is what other people have said.  To me it was my heaven...ironically just like sleeping on clouds.  Who cares that my back grew accustommed to the firmness of the mattriess?  It was (and still is) bliss when I lay on that mattress, but when it came time to marry, my back terribly missed that mattress.

Since Daniel and I have been married (for less than 2 years), we have gone through roughly a mattress every 6 months.  Nothing is supporting my back like "ol faithful". 

When we married, we had Daniel's old mattress.  He LOVED it and I HATED it.  It felt like I was sleeping in a bowl and I always rolled next to him.  After some research, we decided to buy a Sleep Number bed.  Great!  Problems solved.  Or not.  I must say that we kept that mattress a pretty long while.  It had its moments of good and bad, but mostly bad.  As it turns out, it was like sleeping on an air mattress.  No support at all!

Once Daniel and I completed our backyard makeover project in May, we started looking for a king-sized mattress for our ever-growing (dog) family.  Well, "start looking" to the Todds means we are buying one this weekend.  This is how fast it happened!  I wasn't complaining because I had heard great news about pillowtop mattresses.  I was exicted that we got a firm pillowtop mattress.  Ah, yes.  True heaven awaited us in our dreams.  Until the infamous bowl happened...

A month and half  (yes, less than 2 months) of owning the new king mattress, I began to sink into the mattress.  No support was given to my back/hips/neck.  It felt like being in a swimming pool and laying your head on the side of the pool.  Absolutely no support!  After spending a near sleepless night on that mattress due to horrible back discomfort, we trucked it back up to Mattress Firm.  After spending close to an hour in the store performing a sleep diagnostic test, laying on several mattresses, and mental analysizing, we are welcoming (with big arms) our 4th mattress next Thursday.  You have no idea how grateful I am to have another (and hopefully final) opportunity to have a good night's sleep.  And all I have to say is that it BETTER work this time. 

I will report back with my sleeping habits in due time.

No comments: